Quick Facts
Contributing
Commercial Brick two-and-a-half story retail/mixed use building on the corner of East Michigan Street and South University Street. The upper façade is of brown-red brick with piers and corbelling under the cornice line. The second-floor windows of 121 South University are wood double-hung with stone sills. Original wood three pane awning windows are in the half story of 123 South University Street and 127 South University Street. The second floor windows of 123 South University Street and 127 South University Street are aluminum double-hung. The storefront of 121 South University Street is faced in EIFS and contains a stone-veneered recessed entry with an aluminum fixed window. Brick with a white painted wood cornice, replacement side entry doors and replacement double-hung windows with stone sills, and three fabric awnings make up the storefront of 123 South University Street. 127 South University Street has a brick storefront with a north side door and replacement windows with stone sills and a projecting fabric awning that stretches the length of the storefront. The south (side) elevation is of brown-red brick with three replacement double-hung windows on the second floor and a paneled infill window opening with stone sill, and an infilled door to the east end.
No other elevation is visible due to adjoining buildings.
This building, encompassing four addresses, was constructed between 1910 and 1924 to replace three separate frame commercial buildings that had been here since the 1880s. The 1924 Sanborn map shows a furniture store attached to the rear of 121. Tenants at that address included Harold Thick Plumbing, later HH Thick’s office and residence, 1925-36, the Isabella County Department of Social Welfare, 1941-46, the Western Auto Associate Store, 1947 to 1953, and Pickwick Office Supply from the late 1950s until the late 2000s. The current storefront occupant is Salon Blue. The addresses at 123, 125, and 127 tended to shift during the years, but tenants included Dr. C. M. Baskerville, 1925-50, Dr. W. F. McDonald, 1932-46, dentists J. A. Sweeney, 1947-66, and Roger Walker, 1968-87, the Isabella Government Employees Credit Union, 1968-72, William Cain, CPA, 1984-1990, and Centennial Financial Services, 1988-91. The Knights of Columbus met upstairs in the early 1960s and the city had a public restroom at the first floor of 123/125 from 1930 to 1948. Ross Accountancy and Taxation has been in the building since the 1990s; Scrubs n Such occupies the storefront at 123. *as of 2014
Early historic photographs are not available and an image from the late 1980s/early 1990s shows the building much as it is today. The windows and doors are replacements but it is unclear what the original units were, although the windows at 121 South University may be original. The most significant alteration is to the storefront at 121, which has been covered with EIFS.
Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps (Mt. Pleasant: 1884, 1890, 1895, 1900, 1910, 1924, 1931, 1950); Mt. Pleasant City Directories, 1925-1998; Past and Present of Isabella County, 1911; City of Mt. Pleasant Building Permits; historic photographs.