Quick Facts
Non-contributing (built within the period of significance but subsequent alterations have sufficiently impacted integrity to render it non-contributing)
Two-story brick (covered in EIFS) professional office building with a frontage of 44 feet on East Broadway Street. The upper façade is clad in EIFS with Late Victorian/Neoclassical-inspired detailing of pedimented second-floor window hoods, string courses, end piers, boxed modillions under the cornice and a small decorative pediment centered above the cornice. Double-hung aluminum replacement windows are on the second floor. The storefront has glass and aluminum fixed windows with detailing of Classical/Colonial inspiration and lights in the frieze between the first and second floor.
The north (rear) elevation is a one story EIFS covered addition. The east and west (side) elevations are not visible due to adjoining buildings.
This two-storefront long building constituted the fourth and fifth storefronts from the west of the six-storefront long Devereaux Block which extends from 125 to 137 East Broadway (see History under 125 East Broadway, above). The addresses in this part of the Devereaux Block were variously listed as 133, 135, and 137. 133 East Broadway was the long-time location of Dittman’s Shoes (later Dittman’s Shoes and Antiques), which occupied an earlier building on this site (burned in the 1895 fire described above) and then moved into the new Devereaux Block in a storefront it occupied until the 1990s.8 137 East Broadway was Tribolet’s 5 and 10 Cent Store in the 1920s and 1930s, then changed its name to the Morris 5 and 10 Cent Store from 1929 to 1950. After that, it became a Sears Roebuck store (1953 to 1970), the Carousel, 1971-1976, Someplace Special Hallmark and Gift Store (1978 to 1990s) and then Art Reach. The upper story tenants included a number of professional and business offices, the most notable being Burch and Stirling, Dr. Sheridan Gardiner from 1925 to 1944, and the Chamber of Commerce from 1945 to 1953. The building is currently occupied by the professional offices of Isabella Bank and Trust.
The easternmost section (three window bays) of the Devereaux Block, originally 139 East Broadway, was demolished around the same time as the Bennett Hotel next door. The original window openings at the second floor appear to have remained intact into the 1990s. A storefront remodel was referenced in 1989 city building permits. After 1991 the upper façade was covered with EIFS and the transom windows have been removed or covered and new windows installed. The storefronts were remodeled with EIFS, glass and aluminum with a single central entry for both storefronts
Isabella County Enterprise March 22, 1895, p. 1; Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps (Mt. Pleasant: 1884, 1890, 1895, 1900, 1910, 1924, 1931, 1950); Mt. Pleasant City Directories, 1925-1998; Past and Present of Isabella County, 1911; City of Mt. Pleasant Building Permits; historic photographs.
8 Henry Dittman had opened a boot and shoe store in 1882 somewhere on the south side of Broadway. Fancher, Past and Present of Isabella County, 357.