Quick Facts
Contributing
Commercial Brick two-and-a-half-story retail/mixed use building with a frontage of 27 feet on East Broadway Street (1911). The upper façade has blue painted brick corbelling under the frieze, end piers, and a brick trimmed concrete name block engraved with McCarthy Building and the year of construction below the parapet cap. The windows on the half story are original frieze windows with diamond and triangle-head lights, brick lintels, and stone sills. The second-floor windows are aluminum casement replacement windows with transoms, white keystones, and stone sills. The storefront has wood and glass display windows with clapboard siding below and a sign on the frieze above. A recessed entry with clapboard siding is at the west end.
The north (rear) elevation is of painted brick with a small one-story clapboard sided addition with recessed back entry. The second-floor windows are replacement double-hungs with transoms and projecting fabric awnings. An aluminum and glass door is between the second-story windows leading onto the top of the one-story addition, with a projecting fabric awning above. The west (side) elevation is of blue painted brick and the east exterior elevation is not visible due to adjoining buildings.
The interior retains two patterns of painted stamped sheet metal ceiling and cornice crown molding. A decorative wrought iron partition separates the front from the back and the side walls of the front half are of exposed brick.
The McCarthy Building was constructed in 1911 for the hardware company of Breidenstein and Kane, who were previously located across the street in the Chatterton block. It suffered a fire in October of 1922 but was repaired.7 The firm occupied the building until the 1950s, first as Breidenstein and Kane (to 1946) and then as Kane Hardware. It was Fashion City in the 1960s, then Evenknit Hosiery in the 1970s and 80s. Since 1992, it has been McCarthy’s Downtown Drugs and Soda Shoppe.
Like its neighbors to the west, this building once had a large overhanging cornice with an elevated parapet beyond it. The cornice survived intact into the 1990s but has since been removed. The exterior brickwork is intact but has been painted. The windows are replacement vinyl units that do not match the historic configuration. Building permits show the storefront was changed in 1976, but it is unclear if that is the current storefront or how it compares to the original.
Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps (Mt. Pleasant: 1884, 1890, 1895, 1900, 1910, 1924, 1931, 1950); Mt. Pleasant City Directories, 1925-1998; Past and Present of Isabella County, 1911; City of Mt. Pleasant Building Permits; historic photographs.
7 “Heavy Fire Loss Early Yesterday,” Isabella County Enterprise, October 22, 1920, p. 1.